There’s just nothing we love more than perfectly manicured nails. However, always having your nail polish on – or changing your colours weekly – weakens your nails, leading to breakage, discoloration and dryness. And sadly, not even a perfectly applied polish can mask or fix these issues. Luckily, we got a good low-down on some of the mani-pedi habits that may be destroying your nails, as well as the best ways on how you can possibly avoid them.
- Wearing Nail Polish Regularly. A well-manicured hand is already enough to give you the confidence boost that you need. However, leaving your nails constantly covered in polish can also weaken them. Understand that your nails need a break between your manicure sessions, so make sure that you let them go naked periodically by wearing colour every other week.
- Forgetting to Apply the Base Coat. Ditching your base coat is one sure way of getting yellow-nail syndrome. While yellow nails are caused by things like smoking, nail fungus or an underlying medical problem, wearing nail polish without applying your base coat first can also contribute to this nail condition.
- Using Acetone to Remove Polish. Using traditional nail polish removers is what usually dries out the nails, leading to peeling and even splitting. To keep your nails healthy, avoid using acetone-based polish removers at all cost and opt for the soy-based types instead.
- Peeling Your Nail Polish Off. While it’s tempting to peel off a chipped nail polish, resist doing so as you’ll only increase your risk of developing weak nails. Understand that the cells on your nails grow in a slanted direction, and pushing them in the opposite or wrong direction will only cause nail breakage – something that you’d want to avoid.
- Focusing on Your Polish Alone. The act of doing your nails takes more than just applying nail polish to make them look pretty. It also involves trimming, lightly buffing them in one direction, and rubbing oil over and under your nails to ensure that they are in good condition. Also, taking biotin and vitamins is essential in ensuring that your nails stay strong and healthy even after going through several manicure sessions.
Keeping your nails healthy is actually easy. Just avoid the aforementioned nail polish habits, take extra measures when it comes to caring for your nails, and you’ll be able to get a stronger and healthier set of nails.